Casalegno Lectures 2017
Professor Robert Stalnaker (MIT) - “Counterfactuals and Practical Reason”
We are pleased to announce the Casalegno Lectures, to be given by Professor Robert Stalnaker. The lectures will take place at 2.30 p.m. every day from Monday May 22nd to Friday May 26th 2017 - State University of Milan - room 431 - Via Festa del Perdono, 3 - Milan.
Titles of the Lectures:
Anyone interested is welcome to attend.
For information, please contact email@example.com
The Lectures are funded by the PRIN Grant “Il problema dell’indeterminatezza” 2015L3BC35_002, by the Department of Philosophy at the State University of Milan and by the Doctoral School in Philosophy and Human Sciences at the State University of Milan.
Reading group in preparation for the Casalegno Lectures.
A reading group in preparation for the Casalegno Lectures meets in aula Enzo Paci – Direzione del Dipartimento di Filosofia – Via Festa del Perdono, 7- 20122 Milano, according to the following schedule:
March 22 – 2.30 p.m.
- P. Casalegno (1997), Filosofia del linguaggio, Roma: Carocci (§5.6), pp. 157-163
- R. Stalnaker (1968), “A Theory of Conditionals”, in N. Rescher (ed.), Studies in Logical Theory, American Philosophical Quarterly, Monograph Series n. 2, Oxford: Blackwell, pp. 98-112; reprinted in E. Sosa (ed.), Causation and Conditionals, Oxford: Oxford U. P. 1975 and in W. L. Harper, R. Stalnaker and G. Pearce (eds), IFS, Dordrecht: Reidel Publishing Company, 1981, pp. 41-56.
Coordinator: Elisa Paganini
April 7 – 1.30 p.m.
- R. Jeffrey (2004), Subjective Probability, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, ch. 1, pp. 1-28
Coordinator: Hykel Hosni
April 19 – 2.30 p.m.
- R. Stalnaker (1975), "Indicative Conditionals" in Philosophia vol. 5, n. 3, pp. 269-286.
Coordinator: Sandro Zucchi.
April 28 – 12.30 p.m.
- R. Stalnaker (2015), "Counterfactuals and Humean Reduction", in B. Loewer e J. Schaffer (eds), A Companion to David Lewis, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons, pp. 411-424.
Coordinator: Elisa Paganini.
May 8 – 2.30 p.m.
- R. Stalnaker, "Counterfactuals and Probability", forthcoming in L. Walters e J. Hawthorne (eds), Conditionals, Probability and Paradox: Themes from the Philosophy of Dorothy Edgington.
Coordinator: Giuliano Torrengo
May 17 – 2.30 p.m.
- R. Stalnaker (2011), “Conditional Propositions and Conditional Assertions” in A. Egan and B. Weatherson (eds), Epistemic Modality, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 227-248
Coordinator: Sandro Zucchi